ESYO Wind Orchestra is invited to perform at The Eastern European WASBE International Conference in Mako, Hungary!
Tour Dates: August 15-August 22, 2018
Dr. Csikota Jozsef, President of the Eastern World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE) has invited the ESYO Wind Orchestra to perform at the Eastern European WASBE International Conference in Mako, Hungary in August, 2018. Dr. Jozsef was a guest conductor of the ESYO Wind Orchestra in 2016, and based on his impression and the overall reputation of the ensemble for its dedication to musical excellence, he has extended this invitation. As conference participants, ESYO musicians will have the opportunity not only to perform but to hear many other outstanding ensembles and engage in a true cross-cultural exchange.
$1,800 per participant inclusive of flights, transportation, meals, tours and accommodations. There is a limited amount of financial assistance available. Please contact Lisa Stulmaker at email@example.com for information.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES:
- Mail to ESYO Health Forms & Instrument Information:
- Instrument Information
- Musician’s Health Insurance Information
- Musician Medical History
- Please submit (2) photocopies of the inside information page of your passport and (2) additional passport photos. Please put photos in an envelope with your name on it and send to Empire State Youth Orchestra, 432 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305.
- Tour Payments:
TOUR REHEARSALS: Brown School, 150 Corlaer Ave, Schenectady, NY 12304
- Please bring your own music stands!
- Monday, July 9: 7:00-9:30pm
- Friday August 10 Tour Meeting at 6pm; Rehearsal 7:00-9:30pm
- Saturday August 11 Rehearsal 2:00-4:30pm
- Sunday August 12 Rehearsal 2:00-4:30pm
- Monday August 13 Rehearsal 7:00-9:30pm
- Tuesday August 14 Recital for Family and Friends 2:00-4:30pm
- Financial information-Lisa Stulmaker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- General tour information-Rebecca Calos (email@example.com)
- Instrument and Festival information-Dr. Robert Hansbrough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ITINERARY: August 15-August 22, 2018
August 15 (Wednesday) 9:00am: Depart from Crossgates Mall in Albany by bus to JFK
Flight: Lufthansa LH 401Y Departure 4:10pm to Frankfurt; LH1334Y Departure 7:05am to Budapest
August 16 (morning) 8:35am Arrive in Budapest
August 16: (afternoon) Tour Margaret Island; lunch; check in at the hotel; sightseeing; dinner
August 17: (all day) Guided Tour of Buda and Pest
August 18: (morning) Bus to Mako; arrive for lunch
August 18: (afternoon) Rehearsal; visit the Spa; Evening Performance
August 19: (morning) attend festival performances; clinics
August 19: (afternoon) attend festival performances; rehearsal; Evening Performance
August 20: (morning) museums, sightseeing; visit the Spa
August 20: (afternoon) rehearsal; Closing Ceremonies Performance and Celebration
August 21: (morning) Bus to Budapest; arrive for lunch
August 21: (afternoon) Guided Tour; Danube River cruise and dinner
August 22: (morning) Bus to airport
Lufthansa Flight LH1675Y 8:50am to Munich; LH410Y 12:40pm to JFK; arrival at 3:40
Bus to Albany—estimated arrival at Crossgates Mall: 8:00pm
- 15AUG: Flight Number LH 401Y
JFK>Frankfurt 410P 540A 16AUG
- 16AUG: Flight Number LH1334Y
Frankfurt>Budapest 705A 835A
- 22AUG: Flight Number LH1675Y
Budapest>Munich 850A 1005A
- 22AUG: Flight Number LH 410Y
Munich>JFK 1240P 340P
HOTEL & ACCOMMODATIONS
- Mako Hotel: https://www.facebook.
- Budapest Hotel: https://mavericklodges.
- Budapest Tour Coordinators: Harmony Tours http://harmonytours.hu/
TRANSPORTATION, ACCOMMODATIONS, MEALS:
- Tour arrangements for our stay in Mako are being coordinated by Dr. Csikota and his staff.
- Tour arrangements for our stay in Budapest are being coordinated by Harmony Tours.
- Students will be transported by charter bus to all ground destinations and will stay at hotels in Mako and Budapest. At a later date, we will provide specific rooming details and take roommate requests.
- We will make every effort to accommodate dietary needs and chaperones will monitor any allergy
and dietary restrictions.
- In addition to ESYO Staff, there will be one adult per 10 students to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants.
- Please express your interest in becoming a chaperone by filling out your child’s tour reservation form.
PAPERWORK AND DOCUMENTS:
A current passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the schedule dates of the trip. Expiration date must be February 15, 2019 or later.
If you are traveling with your instrument: proof of ownership.
Do I need to bring my instrument? Our hosts will provide tubas, bari-saxophones and percussion instruments. All other instruments must be brought with you. Please be sure you have a safe and secure travel case for your instrument.
What is “proof of ownership?”
- Instrument purchase receipt
- Instrument insurance documents
Can I choose a roommate? Students will be able to submit rooming request forms prior to departure; every effort will be made to accommodate requests.
What should I pack? A complete packing list will be distributed a few months before departure.
Do I need spending money, and should I bring Euros? The trip cost of $1,800 covers all your expenses, but you should plan to bring spending money for souvenirs, extra snacks and sundries. You can exchange dollars for Euros before departure or simply buy a prepaid credit card (with a chip reader) for your musician to use.
Are guests able to join the tour, and what is the cost? Not at this time, however, we can provide you with our detailed itinerary and you can make your own arrangements if you wish to attend the festival.
Do I need to learn Hungarian, or will our hosts speak English? Many Hungarians speak English, but if you learn a few “travel phrases” before you go, you will be sure to delight our hosts!
What if I only like eating hamburgers and French fries, will I starve? We encourage you to be adventurous and try new things! Our hosts are excited to share their culture and enjoy wonderful meals together. That said, we will take care to accommodate dietary restrictions and allergies.
Can I use my cell phone in Hungary? Each individual cell provider has its own policies and fees. We recommend that you contact your cell provider to inquire about an international plan that is best for you.
Do I need a visa to travel to Hungary? No
Do I need to purchase trip insurance? While not required, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Will there be fundraisers to help pay for trip expenses? ESYO does not have the staff resources to lead a significant fundraising effort for this trip, but we are more than happy to support an effort led by a parent or caregiver. Please contact Rebecca Calos at email@example.com if you are interested in taking charge of such an endeavor.
Who is eligible to go on this trip? Are there any age restrictions? Any current or former ESYO Wind Orchestra member from fall 2015 to the present is eligible to go on this trip. There are no age restrictions.