ESYO Wind Orchestra is invited to perform at The Eastern European WASBE International Conference in Mako, Hungary!
Tour Dates: August 15-August 22, 2018
Dr. Czikota Jozsef, President of the Eastern World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE) has invited the ESYO Wind Orchestra to perform at the Eastern European WASBE International Conference in Mako, Hungary in August, 2018. Dr. Jozsef was a guest conductor of the ESYO Wind Orchestra in 2016, and based on his impression and the overall reputation of the ensemble for its dedication to musical excellence, he has extended this invitation. As conference participants, ESYO musicians will have the opportunity not only to perform but to hear many other outstanding ensembles and engage in a true cross-cultural exchange. Dr. Hansbrough will lead the ESYO Wind Orchestra, and he has opened this trip to ALL CURRENT AND PAST wind members from fall 2015 to the present.
Due to space constraints, only a limited number of spots will be available. Please fill out the reservation form below by January 7, 2018 if you are interested in participating. Once received, we will review your application and notify you of acceptance by January 14, 2018. Selection will be based on seniority and experience.
$1,800 per participant inclusive of flights, transportation, meals, tours and accommodations. There is a limited amount of financial assistance available. Please contact Lisa Stulmaker at email@example.com for information.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
- Deadline to make a reservation for the trip—January 7, 2018
- Refundable $200 deposit due upon reservation—January 7, 2018
- (4) Tour payments of $400 each due: February 4, March 4, April 8 and May 6. Non-refundable after March 20, 2018.
- Second Tour Meeting TBD—late spring
- Tour Rehearsals TBD
RESERVATION FORM: Sign-up deadline has passed. Participants will be notified by January 14.
- Financial information-Lisa Stulmaker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- General tour information-Rebecca Calos (email@example.com)
- Instrument and Festival information-Dr. Robert Hansbrough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ITINERARY: August 15-August 22, 2018
- Aug. 15 Depart Albany, NY by bus (morning) and depart JFK for Budapest (evening)
- Aug. 16 Arrive Budapest (morning) and depart by bus for Mako (2 hours)
- Aug. 16 (afternoon)-Aug. 19 Eastern European WASBE International Conference
- Aug. 17-19 Day trips from Mako to enjoy the sites
- Aug. 19 (late afternoon) Depart Mako for Budapest; Danube river cruise
- Aug. 20 and 21 Tour Budapest
- Aug. 22 (morning) Depart Budapest for JFK; bus from JFK to Albany (late evening)
TRANSPORTATION, ACCOMMODATIONS, MEALS:
- Tour arrangements for our stay in Mako are being coordinated by Dr. Csikota and his staff.
- Tour arrangements for our stay in Budapest are being coordinated by Harmony Tours.
- Students will be transported by charter bus to all ground destinations and will stay at hotels in Mako and Budapest. At a later date, we will provide specific rooming details and take roommate requests.
- We will make every effort to accommodate dietary needs and chaperones will monitor any allergy
and dietary restrictions.
- In addition to ESYO Staff, there will be one adult per 10 students to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants.
- Please express your interest in becoming a chaperone by filling out your child’s tour reservation form.
PAPERWORK AND DOCUMENTS:
A current passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the schedule dates of the trip. Expiration date must be February 15, 2019 or later.
If you are traveling with your instrument: proof of ownership.
Do I need to bring my instrument? Our hosts will provide tubas, bari-saxaphones and percussion instruments. All other instruments must be brought with you. Please be sure you have a safe and secure travel case for your instrument.
What is “proof of ownership?”
- Instrument purchase receipt
- Instrument insurance documents
Can I choose a roommate? Students will be able to submit rooming request forms prior to departure; every effort will be made to accommodate requests.
What should I pack? A complete packing list will be distributed a few months before departure.
Do I need spending money, and should I bring Euros? The trip cost of $1,800 covers all your expenses, but you should plan to bring spending money for souvenirs, extra snacks and sundries. You can exchange dollars for Euros before departure or simply buy a prepaid credit card (with a chip reader) for your musician to use.
Are guests able to join the tour, and what is the cost? Not at this time, however, we can provide you with our detailed itinerary and you can make your own arrangements if you wish to attend the festival.
Do I need to learn Hungarian, or will our hosts speak English? Many Hungarians speak English, but if you learn a few “travel phrases” before you go, you will be sure to delight our hosts!
What if I only like eating hamburgers and French fries, will I starve? We encourage you to be adventurous and try new things! Our hosts are excited to share their culture and enjoy wonderful meals together. That said, we will take care to accommodate dietary restrictions and allergies.
Can I use my cell phone in Hungary? Each individual cell provider has its own policies and fees. We recommend that you contact your cell provider to inquire about an international plan that is best for you.
Do I need a visa to travel to Hungary? No
Do I need to purchase trip insurance? While not required, we recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Will there be fundraisers to help pay for trip expenses? ESYO does not have the staff resources to lead a significant fundraising effort for this trip, but we are more than happy to support an effort led by a parent or caregiver. Please contact Rebecca Calos at email@example.com if you are interested in taking charge of such an endeavor.
Who is eligible to go on this trip? Are there any age restrictions? Any current or former ESYO Wind Orchestra member from fall 2015 to the present is eligible to go on this trip. There are no age restrictions.